The construction of machinery and equipment that is focused on textile machinery was among the first subjects that the Faculty of Engineering established after the faculty itself was founded in 1953. The Department of Weaving, Knitting, and Textile Machinery was set up in 1958, which ensured the tuition of the specialised subject of textile technology, machinery, and equipment. The first head of this department was Professor František Pompe. In 1960, the construction of textile machinery was separated from textile technology, which soon began to be taught in the newly established Faculty of Textiles. The independent Department of Textile Machinery was then founded on November 1, 1968. The first head of this department was Ing. Oldřich Talavášek, CSc. However, he had to leave the college in 1971 because of political reasons brought about by the events of 1968. The temporary administration of the department was once again entrusted to Professor Pompe, who held the position until 1973, when Ing. Jaroslav Charvát, CSc. was appointed Head of the Department. It was also at this time that the name of the department was changed to become the Department of Textile Machinery and the Theory of Mechanisms. The department returned to the Faculty of Engineering in 1980 under the name of the Department of Textile and Clothing Machinery. After the retirement of Dr. Charvát, it was the turn of Professor Vladimír Prášil, DrSc. to become Head of the Department, a position he held between 1984 and 1991. The arrival of Professor Prášil had a positive influence on the department’s construction focus. It was under his administration that there was more noticeable orientation on the practical implementation of the results of scientific-research activities and the deepening of the department’s cooperation with industry, which has continued to this day. The Head of the Department between 1991 and 2000 was Dr. Ing. Jiří Mrázek, CSc. His term in charge witnessed a more in-depth approach towards the use of computer-aided design, which was reflected in both the tuition process in the innovation of the study content and in the range of new subjects on offer and also in scientific-research work, which brought with it higher quality. The department moved from building "B" to the newly reconstructed Building "F" on Husova Street in 1993, where it is based to this day. Dr. Ing. Jaroslav Beran, CSc then took over the running of the department in June 2000. The department began to expand at this time, the textile machinery laboratory was established, and the construction of the digital prototype laboratory was completed. In 2006 the department was renamed as the Department of Textile and Single-purpose Machines. In 2012, the department's laboratories moved to building L. From 2019, the department was headed by doc. Ing. Martin Bílek, Ph.D.
The department has taught more than 700 graduates over the term of its existence. Many of these have remained faithful to their field and have been glad to take up prominent positions in the management of engineering or textile enterprises. An important part of the pedagogical activity of the department has been to educate doctorands, previously postgraduate engineering scientists. This demanding study programme has thus far been successfully completed by around thirty students.